Tickell Expressions

Saturday 5 December 2015

Advent - Day 6

Hello friends,

I am thrilled that so many have joined me on my Advent journey. I do apologize for the delay. I got too busy to do a post and art yesterday, so here is Day 6, a day late.

Michelle Winter did the Advent study for Day 6. Michelle is a textile artist and she weaves words as well as fabric. She said one line that really grabbed hold of my heart:
"As I sing it over and over I feel my fists loosen and my hands open. I feel it is an invitation into my secret places."
I used acrylic paints and metallic powders for my blank page (back of card) and added tags to my facing page, which is a used card front. The tags say, "Wise ones seek Him where He may be found."
I know that Jesus is with me always, through the indwelling of His Holy Spirit, but it is often necessary to loosen my grip on the cares of this earthly existence in order to 'find' him. It's kind of like finding a particular radio station. The station is transmitting music and words all the time, but I have to tune in to hear them.
I usually connect with God through art and music, but lately I have taken on a few too many creative commitments. By last night I was starting to feel a bit 'maxed-out'. Then this morning I was asked to do one more thing. I said yes, after praying and feeling that was the proper response. But I still had those other commitments, as well as taking care of my domestic responsibilities in my home.

Even though I was listening to worship music as I worked, I was feeling stressed and irritable. It was like that radio station was going out of range. Trying to connect with God in the usual way was not working. Finally, I went to my bedroom. My closet door was standing open. On an impulse, I went in there and shut the door.

Yeah, I know - weird. But then finding a King in a stable was kind of weird too and we call those guys "wise men".

I hardly said a word. There was no need. Like Michelle said, I was loosening my fists and inviting Him into the secret place of my heart. I breathed in the quiet of the moment and felt the response of His Presence rising up in me. Before the oven timer went off and I had to leave the closet, He let me know which commitments I should have refused. It wasn't a rebuke, but a nugget of wisdom for when similar offers come up in the future. Now I have the peace to say no.
I wrote some scriptures, as the Lord quickened them to my mind, on the backs of the tags:
"In quietness and confidence shall be your strength." (Isaiah 30:15)
"Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10)
"Your face, oh Lord, I will seek!" (Psalm 27:8)

Thank you for dropping by my blog today. Make sure to come back tomorrow (Sunday) for my weekly free digi.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

Challenges:
Word Art Wednesday - ATG (anything goes)
Creative Artiste Challenge - mixed media
Creative Fingers - ATG
Fun With Shapes - St. Nicholas/Advent (cut-out sentiment & tags)
Jo's Scrap Shack - Christmas Joy
Simply Papercraft - always ATG

8 comments:

Wheelie Crafty said...

Gorgeous Advent calendar, I love that it is such a different style to most peoples...
Thank you for joining in on our challenge over at Creative Artiste's Mixed Media Challenge.. Good Luck and we hope to see you again soon...

Hugs Rhonda DT xx
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au

Wheelie Crafty said...

Just a little reminder if you have not already done so...
Hugs xx

DebR said...

You do such beautiful, meaningful work Teresa!

Cheryl said...

Really nice use of the tags! I like it!

My Scrap Pages and Cards said...

Beautiful work you have done, thanks for joining our challenge over at
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au
thanks Deb DT xx

Andree said...

A fabulous idea for a personalised Advent Calendar. I love your idea for the journaling.
Thank you for joining in with the December challenge "Anything Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog and good luck x

Sheryl said...

This is such an inspirational and uplifting project reflecting the true meaning of the season. I love the details and layering you have use to bring the message alive. Good to have you with us at Creative Artiste's Mixed Media Challenge this month.
Hugs Sheryl DT member xx

Crafting With Jack said...

I love the use of Christmas cards for your journal. Everything goes together so well x