Tickell Expressions

Wednesday 8 July 2015

Art Journal Page - Throne of Grace (Stage 1)

Hello Friends,

Recently I signed up for a free summer faith art journaling class. You can check it out here. Every Friday a new post and technique videos are posted, along with the focus bible verse. July 3rd was the first class so you have plenty of time to catch up if you want to join in.

This week's verse is Hebrews 4:16: "Let us the, with confidence, draw near to the throne of Grace that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

I started with a coat of white Gesso. I wanted a dark background. I don't have black Gesso, but I wanted to protect the backside of the page from bleed through if I could. Once the Gesso dried I started adding water colour paints in dark colours, plus crimson red. It looked okay, but it was not what I was going for.
Before I added the water colours I dripped some candle wax onto the page. It was an experiment. I figure art journaling and using cheap materials is supposed to free me up to experiment.
But... I really wanted to start with a dark background, so this was not working for me. My next step looked like a disaster. I slathered on black acrylic paint. It really didn't look streaky IRL. The light from my window did that.
I added some green glitter paint to try to bring some colour and sparkle into this mess.
While the paint was still wet I pounced over it with a sequin negative strip. That let some of the original background show through.
Admittedly, it still looks pretty awful. Come back tomorrow and I will show you Stage 2 and the completed page.

 Hugs & smiles,
Teresa

1 comment:

Crafting With Jack said...

I like the finished background and am going to try and get this look myself.