Tickell Expressions

Sunday 8 November 2015

Sunday's Art Reflection - Pit of Despair?

Hello Friends,

Today's intuitive mixed media piece was done in July of 2008, but I didn't receive the interpretation of it until recently.

This was done at a dark, confusing time of my life that got much worse before it started to get better. I felt that I was being plunged into a deep pit where despair was pummeling my faint and dying hope. A few years ago a friend prophesied to me (a message from God) that I had been in a cocoon, but I was about to break free and spread my wings - the wings of a beautiful butterfly. In the last couple of years I do feel that I have been given new wings in areas of ministry, creativity and a stronger sense of identity than I have ever before known.

My identity used to be in the things I did. If I felt I was good at something I felt good about myself. I had labels - name tags of occupations or skills - to give me a sense of worth. It took having everything stripped away from me, being so weak and debilitated that I could barely even make myself a cup of tea, before I could begin to understand that my value has nothing to do with my skills, talents or appearance. My utmost worth is that I am a child of God, bought by the precious blood of Christ. When I have bad days where I can do nothing but sit on the couch, I am every bit as valuable as when I can teach a class, write a novel or do a good painting. I used to know that in my head, but I know it now to my very bones.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/11/19/234C82FE00000578-2841139-Cinder_Ella_In_the_film_the_Disney_princess_s_famous_name_is_act-64_1416414778547.jpg
Recently I watched the 2015 Disney movie "Cinderella". I watched it twice. When Ella is first given the cruel name "Cinder-Ella" she is devastated. The narrator says, "They made her into a creature of ash and toil." So it is surprising, when she knows she is finally free from the tyranny of her oppressors, that she proudly introduces herself to the prince as Cinderella. But should it be surprising? The ashes and toil played their part in making Ella into the woman her mother desired she would become - courageous and kind Cinderella.

My dark times, the times I thought I would never rise above, were not a pit of deep despair. Those years were a cocoon and, though I often felt abandoned, I was never alone. I can see that now, as I reflect on those times.

I added a tip-in tag to my page. On the back I printed Psalm 139, verses 7-12 in the New Living Translation:

I can never escape from your Spirit!
I can never get away from your Presence!
If I go up to Heaven, you are there.
If I go down to the grave, you are there.
If I ride the wings of the morning,
if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
even there your hand will guide me
and your strength will support me.
I could ask the darkness to hide me
and the light around me to become night --
but even in the darkness I cannot hide from you.
To you the night shines as bright as day.
Darkness and light are the same to you.

And a little verse I wrote myself for the front of the tag:
Twas only a cocoon
I thought a pit of despair
But even in its darkest depths
I know now you were there.

Thank you for stopping by my blog today. I wish with all of my heart that you would know the great depths of Christ's love for you and that when you look in the mirror you would see that you are a marvelous, beautiful creation of that love. Yes, dear one:

You are beautiful and you are loved.


Blessing hugs,
Teresa

No comments: