Tickell Expressions

Sunday 11 February 2018

Encaustic Collage

Hello Friends,

What is encaustic, you may ask, and rightly so. Though the art of painting with wax is millennia old, not many people nowadays have heard of it.

This bookmark encaustic piece was created in response to a challenge to make something black and white. After a few coats of white gesso, I added white and black encaustic paint with my encaustic (low temp) iron. Then I brushed on a few coats of encaustic medium before starting to add my collage elements: a Tickell Expressions sentiment, two white feathers and some metallic flakes. encaustic must be fused (heat gun) one layer at a time, cooling between. I finished the piece off with some fancy yarn and handmade beads. I pre-made them from pages of a well-worn New Testament bible. One of these days I will get a better setup for taking pictures. The metallic flakes do not show up at all.
If you are new here, you probably don't have this sentiment, so I will include it for your use.

Thanks for visiting.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

1 comment:

Crafting With Jack said...

To be honest I didn’t think you could stick anything to the wax. When you say heat fused, do you mean the heat melts the wax and the object sticks? I have recently brought my encaustic art kit downstairs as it was forgotten upstairs. I haven’t had it out for years!