Tickell Expressions

Tuesday 7 February 2017

Melted Crayon Art

Hello Friends,

I have not done much faith art journaling in quite a while, and what I have managed to do, I haven't posted. I wish I could say that is going to change, but I am not going to make any promises at this point.

What I do have for you today is something I have been longing to try for a long time - encaustic painting. Actually this is more of a faux encaustic treatment since I only had a box of Crayola Crayons with which to work. I started the bigger piece using only a heat gun, but this weekend a friend gave me her old, scratched-up pancake griddle and I really got to have some fun. I bought some cheap hog bristle brushes and melted my crayons in mini pie tins on the griddle. It is slow work because the wax dries so fast and not very exact since the wax moves whenever you fuse the layers with your heat gun. Here are my first two pieces.

This is a junk journal page, made with box board:
 I used a tracing wheel (for sewing patterns) to make some interesting texture in the wax here, while it was still somewhat warm.
For the wood-grain texture, I simply pressed corrugated cardboard into the hot wax. The book part was cool so it did not receive the texture.

The back is just the scripture written out over my original melted crayon play, which I did with only my heat gun, before I got my pancake griddle. I used permanent marker, but its permanence on the waxy surface is questionable.


This one is a page in my "Identity - I am Statements" tag journal. I embedded seed beads into the warm wax. It took quite a few tries to set the beads before the wax dried. I started by engraving (with a stylus tool) around a stencil. I pushed graphite powder (from a soft graphite crayon) into the engraved parts (gloves on) and wiped the excess off with a baby wipe. Maybe 2 baby wipes; that stuff is messy. Then I kept building layers, with the beads being the last layer.
Tag Journal Page
The Back just has the scripture written out on a painted background; nothing fancy.
Thanks for stopping by. I hope I have inspired you to try something new and fun in your crafting.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

1 comment:

Peabea Scribbles said...

Sounds interesting. I miss His Kingdom Come's site. It seemed to be more inspiring to me than just on FB, but then I understand the cost to keep it going and the time consuming for the leaders. I bought a Jounaling Bible, but really haven't done anything in it yet. I like what Monica shares on FB. I look at all the supplies I purchased when with HKC, and think I need to get back at it. Still reading though daily so that's a plus. I don't know much about the melted crayon method, but this looks like it would be fun to try. Enjoyed your sharing it, and also like your YouTube of the birds. Bet they're fun to watch. :)

Peabea@Peabea Scribbles